By Edward Wanyonyi
Understanding Despots and Their Networks: President Uhuru Kenyatta and John Pombe Maghufuli are the only civilian presidents in the original EAC community. What does this mean? Key points to take note of :
1) People led revolution and elections will not deliver change. Challenging and agitating for security sector reforms is the first step in state reorganization. One cannot speak against a system that continues to train it’s police and soldiers to be loyal to the oppressor.
2) The international community will not/should not be expected to drive change. Look for internal resources to drive change….Burkina Faso routed Blaise Compaore out of town without Foreign Intervention… Citizens should stop expecting the International community to issue paper bullets – press statements condemning violence…External actors are the most selfish gang of exploiters….Own your revolutuon…mobilize internally…Innovate internally…use local tactics to isolate the despot and their supporters.
3) Civilians trading with the despotic regime often provide leakages to the struggle, instead they should isolate them…shame them…expose them….Manufacture sufficient bile against this group that supports and benefits from dictatorship
4) Targeting families of soldiers and the police will turn around the balance of violence…The Commander leading soldiers to rape and kill protesters has a family too… Apply pressure there…Do not allow them to have their cake and eat it alone….Win the family over and let them isolate their son…Mass resignation from the security services alters the balance of power…
5) Citizens should understand that in a region where most Presidents are sustained by their security forces, they will not hesitate to “bail” each other out by giving legitimacy and even tactics of maintaining power.
Citizens should use their numbers and influence to override the State narrative of normalcy…They should counter narratives of peace and all is well…Make it hard for investors to process commercial transactions…Isolate the foreigners and supporters of the despotic regime….