In Support of Tribal Appointments in Government But Hold Your Fire First ……..
By Donald Kipkorir
Many get emotive when the President makes appointments. Some celebrate, others get upset. Like today, I was not happy when Yatich Kangugo wasn’t appointed the MD of KAA. As a Kalenjin, he ought to have been appointed. Now, the basis for my argument.
When one runs to be President, he isn’t running to be the Chairman of Red Cross. The Presidency is the ultimate goal of any sane being. Once there, you must first reward your people, and let the crumbs fall to others. Is t that what Jesus told the Greek woman in Tyre?
In America, the President has nearly 5,000 top offices to fill with who ever he chooses, and they are normally his buddies or people from his State. In Britain, the Prime Minister has a blank check on his Cabinet. David Cameron’s Cabinet is mainly his school mates from Eton School and Oxford. The key positions in Turkey are by people from President Erdogan area. President Putin is surrounded by people from his hometown of St. Petersburg.
In Kenya, public servants are over 700,000. It is therefore only logical and rational that at least the top 1% of public service be reserved for the people and friends of the President and Deputy President. The other 99% can reflect the face of Kenya. But the top 1% must be for the people who nurtured and helped propel the victory of the Presidency.
Every successive Presidency ought to be given this privilege to fill the top positions with their village-mates, schoolmates and hangers-on. It is the nature of politics.
Back home: Jubilee Victory was a joint effort by Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto. All top appointments ought to be a balance of the supporters and friends of the two. The argument that the top appointments reflect the face of Kenya has no legal or philosophical foundation. Top positions are temporary and are the prerogative and privilege of the winning team; in Kenya and in every country in the world.