By Onyango Ochieng Junior
There is a looming transport crisis for commuters from most parts of Nairobis’ Eastlands after Embassava Sacco was on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 banned from operating for two weeks by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA).
The Sacco, which is one of the biggest in Eastlands, is expected to be grounded beginning Thursday,June 25, 2015 for flouting traffic rules.
Its understood that Embassava has been banned after NTSA found one of its drivers responsible for an accident that occurred last week, killing one person and injuring score others.
In announcement to its clients from the buses on Wednesday, June 24, the fleet management said they have been suspended from operation for 14 days.
NTSA last week said that it was going to take decisive action against the Sacco after finding the driver to one the Embassava Sacco culpable for an accident that occurred on the night of Thursday, June 18 2015.
“The driver of the Embassava Sacco will be arraigned in court and be charged with the appropriate sections of the law. NTSA will not hesitate to suspend the operating license of the culpable PSV Sacco,” said Francis Mejja, NTSA Director General in a statement on Friday, June 19, 2015.
The accident involved Embassava and Forward Travellers buses at the junction of Jogoo and Rabai roads in Eastlands.
The driver to the Foward Travellers Sacco died on the spot with 7 passengers sustaining serious injuries.
NTSA resorted to issuing blanket bans to Saccos that flout traffic rules as a way of instilling self discipline in the country’s chaotic matatu sector.